WHITTIER – Like most Southern Californians, Lester and Kathy Ellett had a very busy weekend trying to keep themselves cool during the state’s recent scorching heat wave. They watched movies, ate at restaurants, visited the beach and even went bowling to be in cooler temperatures than at their home in the 8000 block of Catalina Avenue. “I feel bad for our waitress at Chili’s,” said Kathy, 62. “We stayed at the restaurant for the air conditioning for as long as we could.” They joined the 29,260 other Southern California Edison customers who experienced power outages in and around Los Angeles County. The electricity went out at noon on Saturday, and it wasn’t until 5 p.m. Tuesday that power was restored to the Ellett residence and their neighbor to the north. Theirs were the only two residences affected on the block. “We came home at 2 (p.m.) on Saturday, and it was off,” said Denise Jahinian, 37, the couple’s daughter. “The neighbors said it had been out since noon.” But unlike a lot of those suffering without power in the triple-digit heat, the Ellett home serves as a residential facility for mentally impaired adults. When Jahinian called Edison’s customer service line Saturday, she was given an estimated energy restore time of 11 p.m. The time came and went, but nothing. Since Saturday, Jahinian said she had called Edison 11 times. Each time, she said, the calls became less cordial. “I was told by `Erica’ at 6:30 this morning her supervisor would call when he got in at 8,” Jahinian said. By 2 p.m. Tuesday, she hadn’t heard from anyone, nor had a crew come out to evaluate the situation. An Edison representative said a crew had been out Sunday to assess the situation. A transformer for a few houses in that part of Catalina caused the outage, said Sylvia Southerland, Edison Regional public affairs manager. “Sometimes our people on the phones don’t see the notes from the crews out in the field,” she said. “I know things like this happen during a heat wave,” Janinian said, “but the lack of a response is what has made the situation worse.” If they had not been promised over the past few days that the electricity would be turned on within a matter of hours, the Elletts would have tried to make other arrangements. Southerland said she is concerned an ETA was given because it’s not the company’s custom, especially during a heat wave. Even so, different accommodations would not have been easy. Two of their live-in clients, brothers Mark Deasy, 46, and Patrick Deasy, 53, would not be able to stay in a hotel. “They have their routines,” said Lester Ellett, and because of their mental handicap, they could not handle the stress of not staying in their own room. Two other clients, Daniel Lopez, 34, and Douglas Bogner, 53, also have their own rituals which have been altered. “He sings along with his radio every day,” Lester, 64, said, pointing to Lopez. Because of the home’s residential-care facility status, the couple has to keep at least seven days’ worth of perishables and two weeks’ worth of other food items. The Elletts, who have lived at their place since 1999, estimated losses of $300 in spoiled food. They have also paid money to eat out for three meals a day for six adults, in addition to buying batteries for their battery-operated fans and lanterns. Their medication, such as insulin and heat-sensitive pills, was put on ice in a cooler. “We just want to get things back to normal,” Lester said. [email protected] (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3028160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!