A baby Benanti is on the way! Broadway favorite Laura Benanti and her husband Patrick Brown are expecting a daughter; the Tony winner recently revealed the exciting news on Twitter. The two were wed in November last year.”We are overjoyed to be growing this tiny human, and can’t wait to meet her this winter,” Benanti said in a statement.Benanti earned a Tony nomination this year for her performance in She Loves Me, which concluded its limited run on July 10. She won in 2008 for Gypsy and received nominations for Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, Into the Woods and Swing!. Her additional credits include The Wedding Singer and Nine on stage and Supergirl, The Sound of Music Live!, Nashville and Go On on screen. She recently made headlines for her uncanny take on Melania Trump following the potential First Lady’s speech controversy.In September 2015, Benanti opened up about experiencing a miscarriage. In her piece, she questioned why the subject was considered over-sharing and offered words of comfort to women and families going through similar experiences. “My hope is that talking about it in an open forum can be healing in some small way,” Benanti said. “Sometimes it can be helpful to know that someone out there has felt the same pain as you.”With every storm comes a rainbow, and Broadway.com congratulates the couple on the happy news. Patrick Brown & Laura Benanti(Photo: Jeremy Daniel) Doing a little research with @impbrown!Coming this winter…#BabyGirlBrown pic.twitter.com/xETOz1wDUU— Laura Benanti (@LauraBenanti) August 11, 2016 View Comments
Birmingham City have been deducted nine points by the English Football League for breaching profitability and sustainability rules.The sanction sees Blues drop from 13th to 18th in the Championship, five points above the relegation zone with eight games to play.The EFL said Blues incurred losses of nearly £48.8m between 2015 and 2018. That is almost £10m more than the accepted adjusted losses of £39m over a three-year period.Both Birmingham City and the EFL have 14 days to appeal against the decision of an Independent Disciplinary Commission, which considered the matter on Monday.It is understood that there will be no further financial penalties for the club, nor will they be under a future transfer embargo relating to this issue.They are the first club to be deducted points since the EFL introduced its new profitability and sustainability regulations at the start of the 2016-17 season.In January, Birmingham revealed a £37.5m loss in the 12 months to the end of June 2018, largely a result of their wage bill rising from £22m to almost £38m after an extensive recruitment drive in 2017.The independent panel heard that Blues had spent £7.45m to sign four new players in January 2017, when Gianfranco Zola was manager, and a further £23.75m to add 14 players to the squad that summer, by which time Harry Redknapp had taken charge.Both Zola and Redknapp were sacked by the club after short stints as manager, the costs of which were also given as factors to Birmingham’s rule breach.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with PackersHis presence back on the floor was welcome, although Coach Luke Walton said the scrimmage was “sloppy” and that Ball committed “way too many turnovers.”“Lonzo showed why he’s going to be really good,” Walton said. “But he also showed that he’s been out for a couple weeks with some of the turnovers he had.”Ball sighed in agreement, saying he was “a little rusty.”“I had a lot of turnovers today,” he said, “but, like I said, as long as I’m ready for Thursday that’s all that matters.”Ball has not played since Oct. 2, when he suffered what was then termed a mild left ankle sprain. He missed the final four exhibition games, and did not participate in practices until Oct. 12. Monday was the first day he scrimmaged. EL SEGUNDO — The lights inside Staples Center will go dark, music will blast, the lineup will be introduced. And when the lights come up on Thursday night, Lonzo Ball will be on the court, poised to make his debut in the Lakers’ season opener.“I’m playing for sure,” Ball said.The Lakers rookie put to rest any concern that the sprained ankle that forced him to miss all but six quarters of the preseason would affect his availability when the regular season begins Thursday against the Clippers.Ball was on the floor for the Lakers’ scrimmages on Monday, leading the first team to a victory, bringing his overall record, he said, to “a lot of wins to very little losses.” The former UCLA and Chino Hills High star cleared up one mystery on Monday. When asked which shoes he plans to wear once the regular season arrives he said, “We’ll see. I’ll probably play in mine.”That would put to rest the parlor game that first sprung up in Summer League, and continued into his two preseason appearances, when Ball made waves by alternating between his signature Big Baller Brand ZO2s and other companies’ sneakers.Despite the fact Ball is coming off a significant ankle sprain, the Lakers have no plans to intervene in his footwear decisions, Walton said.“As long as all the shoes are strong enough to support him he’s going to wear what he wants,” Walton said. “Guys used to play in Chuck Taylors and they played entire NBA careers. Unless there is something wrong with the actual way they are made, the stitching and they just rip out, then he should be able to wear what shoe he wants.”THE MOST DENG-EROUS GAMEBall’s team welcomed a surprising face for at least a portion of Monday’s scrimmage: Luol Deng, relegated to a cheerleading role for most of the preseason, played with the starting unit.The Lakers will be without Kentavious Caldwell-Pope on Thursday. He was suspended in June for the first two games of the season after pleading guilty to operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated.Walton said he is considering five players to replace Caldwell-Pope for those two games and, yes, the possibilities include Deng.“Luol is one of the options,” Walton said, “but I wouldn’t say we’re leaning in any certain direction yet.”Walton said he has contemplated starting Corey Brewer and Jordan Clarkson, as well as rookies Josh Hart and Kyle Kuzma. Hart might be out of the mix, however, after he left practice Monday with a strained left Achilles tendon.Deng averaged 7.6 points for the Lakers last season after signing a four-year, $72 million contract. He appeared in 56 games, including 49 starts. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error
Sanlam is justifiably proud of their starfund manager.(Image: Sanlam) Kooyman, centre, has shied away fromWestern markets in favour ofdeveloping countries.(Image: Pixelink 24) MEDIA CONTACTS • Nora GeldenhuisSanlam Investment Management Global+27 21 950 2633RELATED ARTICLES• Healthcare from your mobile • Gordhan: making SA work smarter• UCT MBA among world’s best• Visa buys SA’s Fundamo for $110mRay MaotaSouth African fund manager Kokkie Kooyman has been named the international Fund Manager of the Year for the second year running by the UK-based jourmal Investment Week.He fought off three rivals, including two funds from London-based Polar Capital and one from Jupiter International, to take top honours in the category Specialist Financial Funds.Kooyman, who heads financial services group Sanlam’s Investment Management (SIM) Global, received the sought-after accolade at a ceremony at London’s Royal Albert Hall on 7 July 2011.The highly competitive awards aim to throw the spotlight onto funds that have performed exceptionally over a three-year period, while taking into account the methods used and whether the fund’s performance is sustainable.With his SIM Global fund Kooyman has achieved compound annual returns of 16% (US dollar) for investors during the last 10 years despite having to work through two bear markets within the decade.A bear market is a situation within the financial sector which sees the prices of securities falling and analysts adopting a gloomy outlook, with the prediction of losses.The fund has consistently ranked among the world’s top three for the past six years.SIM in uncharted territoriesKooyman said: “Our approach has remained consistent since we started the fund in 1999. We compare and invest globally – as opposed to many of our competitors who only look at developed market banks.”He said that he has been visiting banks in Indonesia, Thailand, Hong Kong and China for the last 16 years, and has gained a thorough understanding of those countries’ banking sectors. Currently, Kooyman leans towards Japan and Indonesia as good investment prospects.He added a number of banks in the UK and US to his list in 1997, and said that the difference with SIM and other fund managers was that the companies he and his team looks at were “usually below the radar of other investors and/or brokers”.SIM would advise people to invest in countries which have underdeveloped financial markets and whose citizens are not deeply in debt, such as certain Asian and Middle Eastern countries.Kooyman said: “Currently, we believe that Turkish and Indian banks are being misunderstood by the market.”He also sees great opportunity in Brazil, and has tended to stay away from Western markets in recent years.High yield equity fund to launch in 2011Kooyman recently announced a new SIM offering.“We are starting a high yield equity fund which will comprise a portfolio of 30 shares, targeting an average yield of 5%,” he said. “That will only be later in the year.”Moving away from Sanlam’s often volatile small-cap orientated funds, this new fund will be large-cap focussed.Indonesian motor finance company Adira Dinamika Multi Finance is Kooyman’s investment opportunity of choice at the moment. In just 12 months the company’s stock has gone up 60% and, he believes, is able to rise even higher.The makings of KooymanBComm graduate Kooyman completed his articles at financial services firm Arthur Young, which later globally merged with Ernst & Whinney to become Ernst & Young.His distinguished financial career started at the University of the Western Cape when he held a position as accountancy lecturer between 1979 and 1980.He was appointed head of internal audit at fashion chain Truworths in 1983 and joined Repfin Finance as financial director three years later, until 1989. Here he managed to turn Repfin’s fortunes, which were not looking promising, around.The Fund Manager of the Year said: “My experience inside businesses, troubleshooting at Truworths and then at Repfin, gave me a lot of insight for my later career as an analyst and portfolio manager.”Kooyman also spent 10 years in the asset management division of savings and investment group Old Mutual, where he established his reputation.Besides heading SIM, Kooyman also manages investment firm Nedgroup’s South African financial fund. “It’s a fun job which SIM has allowed me to carry on doing,” he said.
Duterte wants probe of SEA Games mess “Everything happens for a reason, and this stop happened for me,” says the 20-year-old Pennisi. “I will be diving for my family and my biggest supporter, my mum.”Pennisi, raised in Brisbane, Queensland, made her official Red Bull Cliff Diving World Series debut last year as a Wild card entry at the sixth stop in Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and she is looking build on the success of her rookie year.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics“For me, this year is still about learning the sport of cliff diving,” says Pennisi. “I have only been cliff diving for less than a year, so I am focusing on doing consistent dives and getting high scores. I don’t have the biggest dives yet, but I am working on them. My goal is to place in the top 5 at all the competitions.”She is training six times a week to strengthen her core and leg for the season kick-off while mastering the execution of dives and somersaults. View comments Xantheia Pennisi performs at the Red Bull Cliff Diving Workshop in Manila last April 4. CONTRIBUTED PHOTOMANILA, Philippines—Filipino-Australian cliff diver, Xantheia Pennisi is making her long-awaited homecoming for the upcoming Red Bull Cliff Diving World Series this April in El Nido, Palawan.Pennisi, whose mother is from Tarlac, is honored to be the first diver of Filipino descent to compete in the Cliff Diving World Series, which is making its only stop in Asia in the country.ADVERTISEMENT Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting LATEST STORIES ‘Refocused, more confident’ Joshua Pacio to show up in ONE strawweight title rematch “Once you have your fundamental diving skills, being consistent and confident with those dives on the lower boards will make a huge difference with the high dives,” said Pennisi.Xantheia Pennisi represents the Philippines and Australia in the Red Bull Cliff Diving World Series. CONTRIBUTED PHOTOIn her first trip to the Philippines in seven years, Pennisi is also excited to immerse in the Filipino culture and food and reunite with family.“I love the exotic fruit, especially green mango – they are my favorite!” said Pennisi. “I love the local markets and street food. The warm weather and all the incredible beaches are a great bonus, but seeing my family is my favorite part of the Philippines.”“I feel very special to be representing Australia and the Philippines. I know my family is supporting me, and I want to make them proud.” Celest Flores-ColinaADVERTISEMENT Philippine Arena Interchange inaugurated MOST READ SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Hontiveros presses for security audit of national power grid
ohio state student broken neck osu.eduEarlier this week, tragedy struck Ohio State’s campus when junior Austin Singletary passed away following the school’s annual Mirror Lake jump. Initial reports suggested that he’d been pulled from the water after suffering from cardiac arrest. Those reports now appear to have been incorrect.According to The Columbus Dispatch, the Franklin County coroner has “tentatively” determined that Singletary actually died of a broken neck – specifically, a C-5 vertabra fracture. Here’s more:The autopsy, which was done on Thursday, revealed a fracture of the C-5 vertebra, which would lead to paralysis of the arms, legs and diaphragm, causing death, said Coroner Anahi Ortiz. She said the injury was consistent with him hitting his head on something hard, such as the bottom of the lake or a rock.Ortiz said Singletary survived for about two hours before dying at Ohio State’s Wexner Medical Center. She added that the results are “very preliminary” and could be modified once Singletary’s medical history is completely reviewed and toxicology results — which would show any drug or alcohol use — are available. That’s expected to be complete in about six weeks.As noted, the findings aren’t definitive. But as you can imagine, it’s becoming more and more likely that the 2015 jump will be the last. Our thoughts and prayers continue to go out to Singletary’s family and friends.