爱北京会员发帖区

first_imgBefore his passing in 2011, legendary E Street Band saxophonist Clarence Clemons helped raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for Little Kids Rock, a leading nonprofit provider of free musical instruments and lessons to underprivileged public school students across the United States. In an effort to honor his legacy and continue supporting the charity, The Jean Shop has been selling leather “Big Man” bracelets online, raising more than $12,500 this summer.The funds will allow Little Kids Rock to serve at least 750 new children with free instrumental music lessons this school year.“We are overwhelmed by the generosity of Mr. Clemons’ fans,” says David Wish, Little Kids Rock’s founder and executive director. “It is a privilege to be able to honor the ‘Big Man’s’ legacy each year while also providing music education to our nation’s disadvantaged youth. Adding his fans’ support to that equation makes it all the more special.”Little Kids Rock honors Clemons annually at its Right to Rock Celebration by presenting the “Big Man of the Year Award” to an artist who embodies the values of generosity and service that reflect the “Big Man’s” legacy and Little Kids Rock’s ideals.Last year, his E Street bandmate Steven Van Zandt and his wife Maureen introduced Clemons’ wife Victoria, who presented the award to Lady Gaga. The pop star’s presence was a complete surprise to the crowd of more than 300 guests and donors.This year, Little Kids Rock will celebrate its 10th anniversary at the Manhattan Center Grand Ballroom in New York City at its fourth annual Right to Rock Celebration on Tuesday, October 16, 2012. The “Big Man of the Year” has not yet been announced, but that has not stopped fans from going online to show their support by purchasing a bracelet. The bracelets bring fans closer to their departed hero, who wore one throughout the promotion of his book, “Big Man, Real Life & Tall Tales.”Proceeds from the bracelet sales and the Right to Rock Celebration will go toward providing free instruments, curriculum and lessons to thousands of students in disadvantaged public school districts nationwide that have seen their music programming decimated due to budget cuts.“More than 50 percent of kids who play an instrument go on to college, yet music education programs at the inner city public schools who need them most continue to be hit hard with budget cuts,” Clemons once noted. “Little Kids Rock has responded to this problem in a really big way and made a positive impact on the lives of literally thousands of low-income students who wouldn’t have otherwise had the opportunity. I strongly encourage those who are in a position to do so to support their cause and spread the word about this inspirational program.”Buy your Big Man bracelet while supplies last at littlekidsrock.org/bigmanbracelet.Tickets and sponsorship opportunities for the Right to Rock Celebration are still available, and include dinner, drinks, souvenirs and corporate brand placement. Reserve your seats today at littlekidsrock.org/RTR-Signup.Source:PR Newswirelast_img read more

US says California rejects proposed border duties for troops

first_img Categories: California News, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter US says California rejects proposed border duties for troops SAN DIEGO (AP) — The Trump administration said Monday that California Gov. Jerry Brown rejected terms of the National Guard’s initial deployment to the Mexican border, but a state official said nothing was decided.“The governor determined that what we asked for is unsupportable, but we will have other iterations,” Ronald Vitiello, U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s acting deputy commissioner, told reporters in Washington.Brown elicited rare and effusive praise from President Donald Trump last week for pledging 400 troops to the Guard’s third large-scale border mission since 2006.But the Democratic governor conditioned his commitment on his state’s troops having nothing to do with immigration enforcement, even in a supporting role.Brown’s announcement last week did not address what specific jobs the California Guard would and would not do and or answer the thorny question of how state officials would distinguish work related to immigration from other duties.Vitiello said the governor decided California will not accept terms of an initial troop rollout for the state that was similar to plans for the other three border states, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas.According to two U.S. officials, the initial jobs for those troops include fixing and maintaining vehicles, using remote-control surveillance cameras to report suspicious activity to U.S. Border Patrol agents, operating radios and providing “mission support,” which can include clerical work, buying gas and handling payrolls. The officials spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter.California National Guard spokesman Lt. Col. Thomas Keegan said “state officials have not rejected anything” since Brown proposed a formal agreement Wednesday with the Homeland Security and Defense Departments that prohibits any involvement in immigration.“The federal government has not yet responded,” Keegan said in an emailed statement.Vitiello said the federal government wanted 237 troops for work in two parts of the state that California “has indicated they will not perform,” but he emphasized that California may participate in other ways that must still be worked out.“We are anticipating additional requirements, and we got a signal from California that they are interested in improving border security,” Vitiello said. “So, at some point that might come together.” Posted: April 16, 2018 Updated: 4:50 PMcenter_img April 16, 2018 AP, AP last_img read more

After a tough 2016 Trafalgar TravCorp are ready for 2017

first_img<< Previous PostNext Post >> Share Michael Smith After a tough 2016, Trafalgar & TravCorp are ready for 2017 Tuesday, October 4, 2016 center_img TORONTO — As it approaches its 70th birthday, Trafalgar finds itself in a similar position to where the company started all those years ago. As a post-war tour operator, back then Trafalgar had to find a way to make clients comfortable to travel to Europe again. After the attacks across Europe in the past 12 months, the company finds itself in familiar territory going into 2017.At an event for partners and media last night, Wolf Paunic, President of Trafalgar Canada, introduced Trafalgar’s 2017 Europe & Britain brochure with a refreshed look for the brand, new itineraries and a message to help destinations that have been hurting from events this past year.The new brochure promotes the confidence that agents and their clients can feel when booking a trip with Trafalgar. Paunic emphasized that one of the safest ways to travel is with a guided tour. With the attacks in Paris in 2015, Trafalgar was able to supply information about the whereabouts and health of all their passengers within 24 hours to agents. Paunic drew parallels to his daughter’s experience in Paris – she was in the city during the attacks and took several days to contact her friends with social media.More news:  Transat calls Groupe Mach’s latest offer “highly abusive, coercive and misleading”Brett Tollman, Global CEO for The Travel Corporation, used his time to ask the industry to support France, Brussels, Turkey and other areas hurting from recent attacks. He reminded the industry that these cities are beautiful destinations that will bounce back just like New York did after 9/11 and that tourism will play a big part in that.So far that seems to be true, with a 25% increase so far for guaranteed departures for 2017. Clients booking early can take advantage of early payment discounts and save 10% on any guided vacation booked and paid in full by Jan. 12, 2017.New itineraries for 2017 include a six-day Amsterdam Explorer and a 20-day Nordic Adventure capitalizing on trends towards Scandinavia. The company also has new Insider Experiences at The Vatican, with an exclusive after-hours private tour followed by dinner in the Missionary Ethnological Museum. Additionally, tailored trips have been introduced, charting interests from the Edwardian era of Britain to the Life of Martin Luther and much more.More news:  Onex paying big to get WestJet and that will send airfares soaring, says CWTThe Trafalgar 2017 Europe & Britain brochure is supported by a revitalised website, now live at www.trafalgar.comTollman was also excited by the recent announcement of the ME to WE partnership with TreadRight. The Canadian non-profit will now give the option to clients to book pre or post trips in Kenya, Amazon, and India with ME to WE where travellers stay among local communities in comfortable lodges, fully owned and operated by ME to WE. For more information, go to trafalgar.com/can/metowe. Tags: Trafalgar Posted bylast_img read more