爱上海ZP

first_img‘Severe threat’ Prosecutors said during the trial that Hariri was assassinated because he was perceived to be a “severe threat” to Syrian control of the country.Hariri was Lebanon’s Sunni premier until his resignation in 2004 over Syria’s role as power-broker in the country.The case was “circumstantial” but “compelling”, prosecutors said, resting on mobile phone records allegedly showing the suspects conducting intense surveillance of Hariri from just after his resignation until minutes before the blast.Saad Hariri, who later went on to become prime minister like his father, said in a statement issued by his office last week that he had “never lost hope in international justice and the exposure of the truth”.”We in the Future Movement look to the seventh of August, to be a day of truth and justice for Lebanon,” he said.He called on supporters to demonstrate “patience” and avoid social media disputes about the verdict.Lebanese Prime Minister Hassan Diab meanwhile called on people to avoid “fishing in troubled waters” and said authorities “must be ready to deal with the fallout” of the judgment.The verdict will not be the end of the tribunal’s work, as it opened a second case last year charging prime suspect Ayyash with terrorism and murder over deadly attacks on politicians in 2004 and 2005. The court is billed as the world’s first international tribunal set up to probe terrorist crimes, and it has cost at least $600 million since it opened its doors in 2009 following a UN Security Council resolution.But the tribunal faces doubts over its credibility with Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah refusing to hand over the defendants, and the case relying almost entirely on mobile phone records.And while Hariri’s son Saad looked forward to a “day of truth and justice”, many Lebanese people are meanwhile more preoccupied with the country’s economic crisis, the worst since the 1975-1990 civil war.Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the judgment “will be delivered from the courtroom with partial virtual participation” at 0900 GMT on Friday. Topics : ‘Intentional homicide’ The four defendants went on trial in 2014 on charges including the “intentional homicide” of Hariri and 21 others, attempted homicide of 226 people wounded in the bombing, and conspiracy to commit a terrorist act.Salim Ayyash, 56, is accused of leading the team that carried out the bombing, which involved a truck packed full of explosives that detonated near Hariri’s motorcade on February 14, 2005.Assad Sabra, 43, and Hussein Oneissi, 46, allegedly sent a fake video to the Al-Jazeera news channel claiming responsibility on behalf of a made-up group. Hassan Habib Merhi, 54, is accused of general involvement in the plot.The alleged mastermind of the bombing, Hezbollah commander Mustafa Badreddine, was indicted by the court but is believed to have died while fighting with the Syrian regime in May 2016.The surviving suspects face life imprisonment if convicted, although sentencing will be carried out at a later date.”If a convicted person is at liberty and not present the trial chamber shall issue a warrant of arrest,” a court spokesman said.Both the prosecution and defense can appeal the judgment and sentence, while if a defendant is eventually arrested he can request a retrial. A UN-backed tribunal will give its verdict Friday on the 2005 murder of former Lebanese premier Rafic Hariri, but questions will remain over a long and costly trial whose suspects remain at large.Four alleged members of the Shiite Muslim fundamentalist group Hezbollah are on trial in absentia at the court in the Netherlands over the huge Beirut suicide bombing that killed Sunni billionaire Hariri and 21 other people.The judgment harks back to an event that changed the face of the Middle East, with Hariri’s assassination triggering a wave of demonstrations that pushed Syrian forces out of Lebanon after 30 years.last_img read more

first_imgThe Wisconsin football team’s defense ranked among the best in the nation all season, in large part due to the play of senior outside linebacker Joe Schobert.The Big Ten recognized Schobert for his efforts this season with the Butkus-Fitzgerald Award, which goes to the conference’s top linebacker.Schobert exploded onto the national scene during the Badgers’ opener against Alabama, recording 13 tackles and two sacks. That performance set the stage for what would be an impressive season.Through the season’s first five games, Schobert had nine sacks. His current total of 9.5 sacks ranks tied for 11th in the country.Schobert made 76 tackles during the regular season (38 total, 38 unassisted).Schobert played his best when the offense needed the aid of the defense the most. Even though both results were losses, Schobert’s games against Iowa and Northwestern were dominant. He had three sacks against the Hawkeyes and three tackles for loss against the Wildcats. His 18.5 tackles for loss ranks seventh in the nation.He forced five fumbles this season, tying the Badgers’ single-season record. That mark ranks tied for second in the nation.Schobert becomes the second UW linebacker to earn the award. Chris Borland won it in 2013.Penn State’s Carl Nassib beat out Schobert for the conference’s Defensive Player of the Year honor, also known as the Nagurski-Woodson Award.Teammates get in on all-Big Ten actionIn addition to being named the league’s top linebacker, Schobert was a consensus pick to the all-Big Ten first team. Senior safety Michael Caputo earned consensus second-team all-Big Ten honors, while Schobert’s fellow outside linebacker Vince Biegel was named to the all-Big Ten third team, also by consensus.Senior safety Tanner McEvoy earned an honorable mention from the league’s coaches and the league’s media. Other UW honorable mentions include redshirt sophomore defensive lineman Chikwe Obasih (media), junior cornerback Sojourn Shelton (media), senior safety Darius Hillary (coaches) and redshirt freshman T.J. Edwards (coaches).Meyer earns weekly honorSenior punter Drew Meyer earned his second Big Ten Special Teams Player of the Week distinction Monday.Meyer punted seven times, averaging 41.3 yards per punt during the Badgers’ 31-21 victory over Minnesota Saturday. He saved his best for last, booting punts of 53 and 54 yards in the fourth quarter. He pinned the Golden Gophers inside their own 20-yard line three times.Meyer also won the award on Oct. 26.last_img read more

first_imgMajella and Daniel with their feet back on the ground!Daniel and Majella O’Donnell are certainly going up in the world these days.The couple decided to take a trip in a flight simulator and admitted they found it nerve racking.The husband and wife tried out the Upilot simulator which is operated by an Irish company at Dublin Airport. Majella revealed “Just flew a B737NG flight simulator. A real challenge. Very nerve racking but great fun. Find at T2 dep lounge.”The simulator is the brainchild of Donegal men Kevin and John Paul Boyle who started the company last year.The company have two flight simulators based at Dublin Airport which allows passengers to undertake a real-life flying experience.The company has offices in both Annagry and Dublin. And needless to say – business is really beginning to take off! DANIEL AND MAJELLA ARE REALLY GOING UP IN THE WORLD! was last modified: August 22nd, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:daniel o’donnelldonegalDublin AirportJOhn Paul BOyleKevin BoyleUpilotlast_img read more