Load remaining images Last Saturday, March 12th, beloved rockers Deer Tick got to work at the Infinity Music Hall in Hartford, CT, playing an absolute barn burner of a performance. The alternative rock band continue to pick up fans with their powerful performances, and this show was no exception!Thanks to Andrew Scott Blackstein Photography, we have photos from the event. Enjoy them below: Edit this setlist | More Deer Tick setlists A full gallery of Andrew Scott Blackstein‘s images can be seen below:
Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window) Photo: Lorie Shaull / CC BY-SA 2.0SWANTON, Vt. — The number of people apprehended for illegally crossing from Canada into the United States along its northern border has nearly tripled over the past three years, and a growing portion are Mexican citizens, according to federal data.One Mexican man who crossed illegally to work on a Vermont dairy farm said it was easier than trying the southern border.U.S. Customs and Border Protection statistics obtained by The Associated Press after a public records request provide new detail on what was apparent anecdotally: Along the border from Maine to Washington, 446 of the 1,586 illegal crossers apprehended in the 2019 fiscal year were Mexican, or 28%. That’s up from 20 of 558, or just 3.6%, in 2016.The numbers also increased for Romanians — many identified as ethnic Roma — and other nationalities, such as Haitians and Indians. Those tallies don’t include apprehensions for reasons other than illegal crossings, such as overstaying visas. This year’s data will likely look different because of travel impacts from the COVID-19 pandemic. Customs and Border Protection spokesman Michael McCarthy said there’s been “a decline in illegal entries” since the arrival of the virus and the border closure, though he didn’t have specific numbers. But they’re expected to pick up again as travel resumes.A former U.S. Department of Homeland Security attache in Ottawa said she wasn’t surprised by more illegal crossings from Canada, though that total remains less than 1% of southern border apprehensions.“Like water at the lowest point, migrants will find their best way in,” said Theresa Brown, now director of immigration and cross border policy at the Bipartisan Policy Center in Washington.The Vermont farm worker, Diego, said he illegally crossed from Canada in 2017 because it was safer and cheaper than crossing the southern border.“The person who was going to get us across was recommended by a trusted friend and there was no risk that we were going to be cheated,” said Diego, 26, who’s from the Mexican state of Tabasco and spoke in Spanish. He spoke on condition that his full name not be used because he’s in the U.S. without authorization.Diego arrived via the northern border’s busiest sector for apprehensions: a 295-mile (475 kilometer) stretch across northern New York, Vermont and New Hampshire that had more than half the northern border arrests last year, up from 38% in 2016. An informal review of criminal cases filed against people apprehended in Vermont and upstate New York over the last two years indicates most were trying to reach areas away from the border, such as New York City.The sector’s chief border agent, Robert Garcia, attributes its increase in illegal crossers to its proximity to Toronto and Montreal and the U.S. East Coast; increased focus on security along the U.S. southern border; and changes in Canadian entry requirements.In 2016, Canada lifted its requirement that Mexican citizens apply for visas to enter the country, as part of efforts to strengthen ties with Mexico. A similar change for Romanian citizens took effect in 2017.The Canadian government “monitors its immigration system closely” and takes seriously the responsibility for the shared border with the U.S., a statement from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada said.“Visa-free travel does not guarantee entry into Canada,” it said, noting such travel could be suspended if necessary to preserve the system’s integrity.Diego said he and four adults he didn’t know flew to Toronto from Mexico, waited days in a motel before traveling overland to Montreal, then took a taxi to a town near the Quebec-Vermont border. A guide took them to the border and told them that once they crossed, they should run across a plowed field to someone who’d be waiting.“They were there and they took us,” he said. “We had the luck.”Diego said the trip cost about $2,500, and he heard the person who arranged his passage was later arrested and deported to Mexico.In another recent smuggling case, a Canadian citizen born in El Salvador was extradited to the United States and charged with running a yearslong operation that crossed people from Canada into Vermont and New York.The Border Patrol says smugglers are willing to move around. In Maine — statistically one of the quietest areas on the border — a defendant apprehended in December admitted making six trips to northern Maine in a month to transport about 12 people to New York City.“If that made the hair on the back of your neck stand up a little bit, I would say it did on mine as well,” said Jason Schneider, the Border Patrol’s acting chief patrol agent for the sector that includes all of Maine.
Steven Gerrard secured Liverpool an incredible 3-2 stoppage-time victory at Craven Cottage, rifling home from the penalty spot to break struggling Fulham’s hearts. It was a fine win but one in which Liverpool failed to get anywhere near the heady heights reached in Saturday’s 5-1 mauling of Arsenal, falling behind after just eight minutes. Kolo Toure, guilty of gifting West Brom a 1-1 draw 10 days ago, could only watch on in horror when he sliced a Kieran Richardson cross into his own goal. Fulham continued to impress but were undone as half-time approached by a wonderful first-time Gerrard through ball, which found Daniel Sturridge to net his eighth goal since returning from injury. While Liverpool were somewhat fortunate to go in level at half-time, they began the second half with renewed vigour and Luis Suarez rattled the far post as the Whites looked increasingly unsteady. Fortunately for them, Martin Skrtel was looking even more shaky and his defensive mistake allowed Manchester United academy graduate Richardson to net from close range. The lead did not last long, though, as Philippe Coutinho sent a fine shot past Maarten Stekelenburg via a slight deflection off former Everton defender John Heitinga. Fulham looked good value to follow up their thrilling 2-2 draw at Manchester United with another point, only for Sascha Riether to foul Sturridge, allowing Gerrard to fire home a stoppage-time winner from the spot. Few expected Fulham to suffer a ninth home loss of the season given the way they flew out of the blocks. Press Association Less than a minute was on the clock when Lewis Holtby sent a lovely chipped ball over to Darren Bent, who played in the overlapping Ryan Tunnicliffe for a strike that stung the palms of Simon Mignolet. Dan Burn headed over as Fulham continued in the ascendancy, with their early endeavours rewarded with just eight minutes on the clock. Holtby’s exquisite through ball put Richardson behind Skrtel, with the former United man’s cross comically turned into an own goal by Toure. It was quite the start by the Whites, for whom things came close to improving moments later as Holtby met a Darren Bent knock-back with a half-volley that flew inches wide. Liverpool were struggling to quell Fulham’s intensity, but with Suarez in attack it would not be long before Stekelenburg was called into action. The Netherlands goalkeeper denied his former Ajax team-mate after impressively wriggling free to turn on target, before thwarting the Reds striker’s cheeky attempt at a lob. Stekelenburg saved Steve Sidwell’s blushes after his woeful backpass almost put Suarez through on goal, with Sturridge and Coutinho wasting chances before Fulham regrouped. Former Liverpool left-back John Arne Riise and Sidwell saw shots blocked either side of a Bent header as the hosts upped the ante, coming closest when Holtby played a neat one-two with William Kvist and continued to fire into the side-netting. They were missed chances the home side were made to rue four minutes before half-time. Getting back on his feet after slipping just inside the Liverpool half, Gerrard played a wonderful first-time ball with the outside of the right boot that split the Fulham defence open and found Sturridge to coolly slot home off the inside of the far post. The England internationals both came close to adding to that before half-time, from which they returned with Suarez whipping a free-kick just wide of the far post. The Uruguay international was soon back in action again, first lashing across the face of goal before striking the post after turning his man on the edge of the 18-yard box. It looked only a matter of time until there was a goal, but few expected it to come from Fulham. A hopeful, if impressive, Sidwell shot from his own half was all the Whites had to show until the 63rd minute, when Liverpool gifted Fulham another lead. Skrtel could not clear a Riether cross from the right, wiping out team-mate Jon Flanagan as the ball fell kindly for Richardson to bury from close range. However, the lead was not to last as Coutinho showed impressive skill and poise to burst into space and strike, via a slight deflection of Heitinga, past Stekelenburg The Fulham goalkeeper was soon forced off after taking a bad knock in denying Suarez, with his replacement David Stockdale seeing Coutinho struck just wide before substitute Joao Teixeira fired over on his debut. And, just as it looked like the west Londoners would take a deserved point, Riether was adjudged to have taken down Sturridge in the box. Dowd pointed to the spot and Gerrard smashed home the spot-kick in front of the raucous visiting fans, who almost had another to celebrate when Teixeira struck over. The match was threatened earlier in the week by a proposed strike on the London Underground – and Brendan Rodgers’ six-match unbeaten league run looked in serious danger of ending on several occasions in west London. Rene Meulensteen’s side produced a performance that belied their position at the bottom of the Premier League, only for them to twice see leads pegged back and then Reds skipper Gerrard strike home in stoppage time.
Press Association Rodgers believes Balotelli is intelligent enough to realise the opportunity he has at Anfield and will settle well, moving away from the problems that have hampered his career to date. He said: “Most players I like to sit down and look in the eye and see the honesty and the humility that they have and I think that when I sat with him and I spent a bit of time with him, about three-and-a-half hours. “You know it’s a massive club and it’s a different club, it’s a family club with strong family values and as I said behaviour is very important here. “It was also about the football element. We can help improve his game, improve the consistency in his game and he was ready to take on that challenge. “He’s a very bright boy. He was very clever. He’s a really good guy and I’m excited to work with him because that’s the type of talent I like to work with – someone that we can improve both as a football player and a person.” Balotelli himself has said he is looking forward to the challenge and admits it was a mistake to have left England in the first place. The Italy international was sold by City to Milan in a £19million deal 19 months ago. Balotelli told the club’s website: “I’m happy to be back because I left England and it was a mistake. I wanted to go to Italy but I realised it was a mistake. “English football is generally better. English football is beautiful.” He added: “To play here for Liverpool excites me, but if you’re an opponent it’s difficult. “Liverpool are one of the best teams here in England. The football is very good here. It’s a great team with young players, and that’s why I came here.” Liverpool are returning to the Champions League this season after a four-year absence and Balotelli – a previous winner with Inter – has already spoken of bold ambitions to triumph again. He said: “I always start a competition wanting to win it. We will see. I want to win another Champions League for sure, because the Champions League wasn’t all mine, I was in a team. I want to take this team to the Champions League.” Balotelli was in the stands at the Etihad Stadium on Monday night to watch his new team-mates take on his former club City in the Barclays Premier League. He was pictured sitting next to injured midfielder and fellow new signing Adam Lallana. Press Association Sport understands it was planned he would meet those playing in the match before kick-off in the dressing room. The Reds completed a £16million deal to sign the maverick former Manchester City striker from AC Milan on Monday. The 24-year-old, who has also played for Inter Milan, has already had an eventful career, having mixed occasional brilliance with plenty of controversy on and off the field. Rodgers initially joked when asked what Balotelli will bring to Anfield, telling Sky Sports 1: “Trouble!” But he added: “I look at the talent – he’s a wonderful talent. “There’s no doubt he’s at a stage in his career that this might be the last chance at a big club because he needs to settle down and show maturity. “And I’ve worked with those type of players all my life, from when I worked in youth coaching. “I never had the finished article and that’s how – at times – I like it. “He’s got huge potential, but needs to come to Liverpool and be consistent because if he can do that we’ve got one hell of a player.” Rodgers’ words echo similar remarks he made about Daniel Sturridge when he signed him from Chelsea in in January 2013. Sturridge has since repaid the faith of Rodgers, scoring 36 goals in his first 50 appearances for the Reds. Manager Brendan Rodgers claims Liverpool have offered Mario Balotelli his “last chance” to thrive at the top level.
Tampere: Sprinter Hima Das on Wednesday scripted history by becoming the first Indian woman athlete to win a gold at the world level as she clinched the top spot in the women’s 400m final race in the IAAF World Under-20 Athletics Championships at Tampere, Finland.The 18-year-old Das, a pre-tournament favourite, clocked 51.46s to win the gold, which triggered a wild celebration at the Indian camp. This was though not her personal best as she had clocked 51.13 last month in Guwahti at the National Inter State Championships.No woman before Das has won a gold medal in a World Championship at any level, be it youth, junior or senior.She is also the first Indian—men or women—to have won a gold in a track event at the world level.Running in lane number 4, Das was behind Romania’s Andrea Miklos at the final bend but produced a stunning burst during the final stretch to cross the finishing line well ahead of the field. She produced her trademark burst at the final 50m.Miklos took the silver in 52.07 while Taylor Manson of USA was third in 52.28.“I am very happy to win the gold in the World Junior championships. I want to thank all the Indians back home and also those, who were here cheering me. It was very encouraging to have this kind of support,” she said after the race.Das, from Dhing village in Assam’s Nagaon distrist, now joins the illustrious company of star javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra, who won a gold in Poland in the last edition in 2016 in a world record effort.In fact, Das is the first Indian track athlete to have won a medal in the history of this competition.The other medal winners are—Seema Punia (bronze in discus in 2002) and Navjeet Kaur Dhillon (bronze in discus in 2014).Das was the favourite to win gold as she is the U-20 season leader in this quarter-mile event. Her rise has been nothing less than meteoric as she took up serious running only last year. Das had earlier clocked an Indian U-20 record of 51.32 seconds to finish sixth in the Commonwealth Games 400m final in Gold Coast in April.Since then, she has gone onto improving her timings. She lowered the Indian U-20 record in 400m to 51.13 seconds while winning gold in the recent National Inter-State Championships in Guwahati. Congratulating Das, Athletics Federation of India President Adille Sumariwalla said, “Very proud of Hima for creating history. It is one of the proudest moments of my life and for Indian athletics. Congratulations to Hima and her coaches, the government and SAI for their support to AFI.” For all the Latest Sports News News, Other Sports News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.