Kolkata: The ongoing cease work of the lawyers in the state for over a month was lifted on Friday, with the state Bar Council appealing to the lawyers to postpone their movement and commence their work. Normal work will resume from Saturday. “We have decided to postpone the strike till September 2, keeping in mind the harassment of the people. All steps have been taken and a resolution that was taken at the Council’s meeting today (Friday) has also been put up in the form of a notification. The lawyers are joining work from Saturday,” said Baiswanor Chatterjee, member of the working committee of the Bar Council. A notification urging the lawyers to join work has also been published. Also Read – City bids adieu to Goddess DurgaThe common people seeking justice had to face a lot of problems because of the cease work and people coming to Calcutta High Court and the lower courts from far-flung districts seeking justice have been returning home disappointed. There were indications earlier that the cease work will be withdrawn soon after the election process. A major clash took place between the lawyers and staff of Howrah Municipal Corporation (HMC) over vehicle parking at Howrah Court area on April 24. Some lawyers were injured in the clash after the police intervened, following which the lawyers called for cease work alleging police excess. The lawyers in the other courts also extended solidarity to the movement and it spread to all courts across the state. “We are still sticking to our demand that those responsible for the attack on the lawyers should be punished. However, the strike has been postponed considering the problems faced by the common people,” a member of West Bengal Bar Association said.